The major baseball league reigning champs are off to a rough start this season, but there will be no lama drama for the Boston Red Sox.
Multiple players told WEEI Rob Bradford that the team removed the video game Fortnite from the clubhouse, believing it was "becoming counterproductive to putting their best foot forward on the pitch." The Red Sox fought powerfully to start the season, sitting at 14-17 and 5 1/2 games back from Tampa Bay's first rays in the American League East.
"I think it's time and place for that," Nathan told Eovaldi Bradford. "Maybe if we did something better, maybe we would, but you can't lose and play Fortnite in the clubhouse."
Red Sox players have long accepted a game that has been accepted by over 250 million people worldwide. It first made news in Boston when rumors attributed David Price's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome to his love of games, and also surfaced when the team's outfielders used the game's signature dance moves to look forward to winning. On May 2018 article The Athletic, last year's Fortnite regularly included Price, Carson Smith, Craig Kimbrel, Chris Sale, Eduardo Rodriguez, Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes, Joe Kelly, JD Martinez and Heath Hembree.
The prize clarified on Thursday that there was no official ban on the game, the team just wanted a different dynamics in the clubhouse and the guys didn't play that much.
Due to its pop-culture prevalence, it is by far the first time that Fortnite has found himself in the sports world of crosshairs for absorbing so much time from athletes. In March, Philadelphia Carlos Santana broke the television when he found his teammates playing while the Phillies were in the middle of the game. Toronto Blue Jays Manager Charlie Montoyo announced at the same time that his team would have a "curfew." Texas Wood Rangers also announced to his team that video games will not be tolerated during working hours. In the NHL, the teams were worried about the impact of the game on their younger players, especially when it comes to their sleep, and asked about the prospect of questions about Fortnite in the combined league proposal.
© The Washington Post 2019